Sunday, October 25, 2009

What meaning..

In sorting through old papers I found this quote that i'm a fan of, well this man that i'm a fan of "Leo Tolstoy" particular his book "A Confession". The quote goes,
"What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death does not destroy".

Wow says I.

How does one ponder that without properly defining his/her entire outlook on life?

With a book that questions the most profound of life's questions Tolstoy was undoubtedly to come out with a few winners but with this one we throw in the mixture the notion of inevitability. Yes I realise his focus was not likely this notion, however for the sake of this moment, I say, let's reflect. Inevitability for many means claustrophobia and yet for others, freedom. I'm starting to think that rather than define a word by its meaning lets look at it for its consequence and the way in which it leaves the reader, the "live-er", feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment