Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Secret Garden


When I was younger I had a 'secret garden' fetish. Not that of the story books but the sort of Bruce Springsteen Secret Garden. I thought that it was hard to truly get to know someone intimately and I quietly adored this. Many years ago I was asked on numerous occasions to open up. To be more vulnerable. But that's harder than it might seem. People are funny creatures, ones that try to be close to another but not too close for just far enough is close enough for some. So what is it that we hold back? What do we fear so much that we can't let another in to that Secret Garden? It has been said that 'no man is an island..', I think that I disagree. No one understands, sees, experiences everything of another person and no one person can ever be completely transparent either. For it is these things that make us the individuals that we are. Is this the fear that we subconsciously have? The fear that the more people know the less unique we will be? If people know more of who we are, does that mean we are less us? Bruce sings this secret garden will find you searching for '... a million miles how far d'you get...?..that place where you can't remember and you can't forget..' Is this the story behind the loneliness we feel so often? A place that is the very core of us sees other people lost in its pursuit. I wonder how Secret your garden is.

No comments:

Post a Comment