Monday, December 14, 2009

Ages I know..

SO its taken me ages I know to follow up on my potentially depressive last post - sorry to you. I want to let you in on this description I came across in a small book "Human Happiness" by Blaise Pascal. This writer is genius and I'm loving every sentence I read - its one of those brilliant pieces that takes that much longer to read than it looks because you need to read what you've read and read what you've then just read.... The quote, that's right...

"We never keep to the present. We recall the past; we anticipate the future as if we found it too slow in coming and were trying to hurry it up, or we recall the past as if to stay its too rapid flight. We are so unwise that we wander about in times that do not belong to us, and do not think of the only one that does; so vain that we dream of times that are not and blindly flee the only one that is. The fact is that the present usually hurts. We thrust it out of sight because it distresses us, and if we find it enjoyable, we are sorry to see it slip away. We try to give it the support of the future, and think how we are going to arrange things over which we have no control for a time we can never be sure of reaching.."

Oh how I, perhaps we, are like this. The frustration that is felt, and the honesty that is needed to combat this cycle requires sometimes greater bravery than I hold. When you catch yourself flying from recollection to wandering to distress perhaps hold a minute, take a breath and note that we have no control, we are not sure and we just do not know what may happen next. There is brilliance in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment